Maxi Dresses: 10 Things You Need To Know
Posted by Ammon Webb on
It’s the wardrobe staple that’ll take your style to new lengths – The maxi dress! From a casual stroll to glam night’s out with friends, this feminine frock always has you covered.
Popular all year round, maxi dresses are versatile, easy to style and incredibly comfy. They are loved for their flowy silhouettes, playful patterns and bright colours. Shop a range of maxi dresses and find the best style to suit your body shape.
This handy guide will take you through everything you need to know about maxi dresses, including how to wear a maxi dress in winter.
1. What Is A Maxi Dress?
A maxi dress is a long dress that reaches down to your ankles or the floor. It is available in formal and informal styles and in a range of patterns and shapes. Elegant and flattering, they are perfect for when you want a little extra coverage.
2. How To Style A Maxi Dress?
Wondering what to wear with maxi dresses? There are endless styling options when it comes to wearing your floor-sweeping pieces! Here's some tips for winter and summer styling.
How To Style A Maxi Dress In Winter
Did you think that maxi dresses are just for summer? Think again. With proper layering, a maxi dress can make a warm and stylish winter outfit. Firstly, you'll want to opt for fabrics that are thick and warm, like knits and woven materials.
A waist-cinching leather jacket is the perfect cover up to wear with maxi dresses. It'll flatter your figure while adding a trendy edge! Finish the look with combat boots for a casual, street style.
Layering is the best way to stay warm in winter. Wear a turtleneck underneath a summer maxi dress for a versatile look!
How To Style A Maxi Dress In Summer
From boho prints and halter neck styles to cutouts and slits, a maxi dress is great for all kinds of summer days. Choose breathable fabrics like linen or cotton and opt for open toe shoes like flat sandals or heeled sandals. Finish your look with a light lace kimono!
3. What Shoes To Wear With A Maxi Dress?
A maxi dress can be dressed up or down depending on how you choose to style it. Wondering what shoes to wear with a maxi dress in winter? Keep your look casual with crisp white sneakers. Ankle boots or combat boots will add an edge to a cute sleek satin slip. Does your maxi dress have a high slit? This is the perfect chance to throw on some knee-length boots!
In the warmer months, gladiator sandals are ideal for casual beach days, while sneakers are a comfortable choice for running errands. Heading to dinner? Pop on some stiletto heels or platform sandals for a dressy look.
4. What Jacket To Wear With A Maxi Dress
You can style your maxi dresses with the layering pieces already in your wardrobe. Some of our favourite outerwear options include:
- A denim jacket: An easy casual choice that looks sweet paired with floral dresses and casual day dresses.
- Leather jacket: This piece will add an edge to your look. Pair it with a satin slip and combat boots!
- Longline kimono: A light and comfy cover that will help you achieve a boho, beach look.
- Cardigan: Casual yet stylish, a longline knit cardi is the perfect layer for winter.
- Blazer: A smart look you can take from a day in the office to an evening out.
- Trench coat: Go for a classic, put-together look with a long trench coat and heeled boots.
5. How To Wear A Maxi Dress
How To Turn A Maxi Dress Into A Skirt
Wear a crop tank or long sleeve top over a thin strap maxi dress and add a belt to create a cinched waist. For winter, do the same thing but with a cropped knit sweater!
What To Wear On Top Of A Maxi Dress
There's a wide range of layering options for your maxi dresses. Pop a sweater or knit jumper on over a simple maxi dress to create a skirt and sweater combo!
How To Wear A Belt With A Maxi Dress
A belt is a trendy way to accentuate a small waist and add style, flair and personality to your look. It's a good idea to match your belt with the rest of your accessories. For a cool and relaxed option, pair a brown belt with a floral maxi and brown leather cowboy boots! Alternatively, a woven tan belt is perfect for summer. Team it with a white maxi dress and tan sandals for a beach-godess look.
6. How To Dress Up A Maxi Dress For Evening
Regardless of the season, maxi dresses are a chic option to wear for day and night occasions. You can easily elevate your dresses into evening gowns with the right accessories. Here are some pointers on how to transform your look.
1. Trade flats for high heels- This is one of the easiest ways to give your dress a lift (literally!)
2. Statement Jewellery- Go big or go home when it comes to your dazzling earrings, necklaces and rings!
3. It's all in the materials- Some fabrics are just designed for the evening! Opt for luxurious satin numbers or chic chiffon frocks!
4. Add a coat or blazer- Trade in the cardi for something a little more evening-appropriate. You can always count on a structured and fitted blazer to bring the 'wow' factor.
5. Grab a cute handbag!
7. How To Wear A Maxi Dress Casually
1. Ditch the heels and grab a pair of sandals, sneakers or ankle boots.
2. A tote bag is a perfect way to make your look more casual.
3. Leave the bling at home!
4. Pop on a casual denim jacket or cardi if it gets cool.
5. Opt for fun daytime prints like florals, stripes and geometric prints!
8. What To Wear Under A See-Through Maxi Dress
9. Colour Styling
- What to wear with a white maxi dress - Match your white frocks with beige accessories for a fresh summer look. Alternatively, make a statement with a bright coat or jacket!
- What to wear with a grey maxi dress- Go for a cool, off-duty look in a grey knit dress, white sneakers and a graphic sweater.
- What to wear over a black maxi dress- Keep things sleek with a black blazer and black boots - Finish the look with gold accessories!
10. Where To Buy A Maxi Dress?
Shop trendy long dresses at Ally Fashion! Browse our range of accessories to elevate your look for any occasion, including platform shoes and chunky heels. Update your wardrobe today!